Translate

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Q&A 1


1. A legal settlement in New York http://www.huliq.com/1/85716/hsbc-credit-cards-deliver-services-disabled required HSBC to modify its website so that customers with disabilities can utilize its services.

(a) Should all commercial websites be required to provide full access to people with
disabilities? Give arguments for both sides.

            I feel that all websites should provide full access to people with disabilities. I think it will help with several things, such as; increasing customers, expanding your target customers, and increasing consumer knowledge. This is a really good idea, and a wonderful way to bring in more customers and increase profits. By providing these services, you are expanding your target customer, which ultimately increasing your company’s profit. Lastly, I think by providing full access to these commercial websites to people with disabilities, you will expand the knowledge of the average consumer. 

            On the flip side, some commercial websites may argue against full access to people with disabilities. Perhaps providing the extra content is too expensive, or will clutter up the website and make it harder for the average consumer to browse. Perhaps if they are selling a product that people with disabilities are not within any target consumer base.

(b) Should all government websites be required to provide full access to people with
disabilities? Give arguments for both sides.

            I think that, for government websites, it should be mandatory to provide full access to people with disabilities for the mere fact that any US citizen should have the right have access what they pay taxes for and have to rights to. 

            On the flip side, perhaps putting all of the content and full access to people with disabilities could result disastrously. Some people with disabilities may misconstrue information, and need some human assistance to follow the guidelines and fill out all documentation correctly.

2. Some high schools ban the use of cell phones during classes. What are some reasons for such a policy? Do you think it is a reasonable policy? Give reasons for your answer.

            There are so many reasons why high schools ban cell phones during class. Students already have a hard enough time concentrating. It is a major distraction! Students can also communicate and cheat through texts on tests quite easily. Any interaction done on a phone can be done before or after class, unless it is a dire emergency. It primarily takes away from the learning environment, and creates a more social environment. A cell phone is a very distracting tool, especially when trying to listen to the teacher, which is hard enough when you’re in high school. The government has a mandatory law that all children have to go to school (at least from k-12th grade), so it only makes sense that teachers have the right to implicate the no cell phone rule, in order for the students to actually listen, learn, and eventually graduate high school. I know it was hard for me when I tried using my cell phone during college classes, I can’t imagine cell phones in high school. Lastly, I feel that sometimes delinquent acts may occur amongst the high school students (from truancy, to drug deals, to cheating, to flirting) that can easily be prevented by limiting cell phone usage.

3. Suppose you make a deposit to your checking account (in one of the four ways listed below) then discover when a check bounces two weeks later that the money has not been credited to your account. Compare the likelihood of this happening and the difficulty of convincing the bank you really did make the deposit:

 (a) making a cash deposit in person with a teller at a bank

            If I made a cash deposit in person with a teller at a bank, then not only should I have the proof of the slip I should and expect to receive but I can have them look in security tapes for proof that I was there. I would even find the lady that handled my deposit, and ask her what is going on.

(b) depositing a check via an ATM at a supermarket

            If I had deposit a check via ATM at a supermarket then I should receive a confirmation number and/or a slip describing the money I deposit and when it should be available. I would freak out if the ATM didn’t print out any documentation. I would also find a way to trace the check number and/or confirmation number to find the check. Many ATM’s these days also have digital recordings of their visitors, so I would also see if footage of my deposit would be available.

(c) sending cash to your bank by US Mail.

            I would never send my money in cash to my bank by US Mail. I hate to say it, but I think that is the most unsecure and ridiculous way to send cash. First of all, you can’t really trace cash; it’s the hardest thing to trace. I wouldn’t method in the first place. Even if I had it certified I can’t prove I have cash in the envelope. If I did send cash to my bank by US mail, I wouldn’t have the slightest idea how to prove my deposit.  

(d) transferring the money from your savings account using a mobile phone app.

            If I would transfer the money from my savings using my mobile phone I would make sure I have a confirmation number and some confirmation sent to my email. I would make sure I have some proof to show forth to prove that my cash was in one place and now to another. I would only transfer money through a secure mobile app, and one that works with reliable enough documentation to prove my transferring of money.

No comments:

Post a Comment